Ruminating on winter holiday gift plans

Just meandering around some ideas because I have been super productive today and have no TV service...


Trying to decide what to make for winter holiday gifts this year. I'm envious of my mother's ability to pick Just The Right Gift for people. She's put a lot of effort and thought into being good at it, and having a disposable income helps though she's also very good at doing gifts on a budget. 


That's not me. I'm not bad at it, I'm just broke. As a result I have found my niche making bulk food gifts. Less personalized to the recipient but a more personalized gift of myself. 


One year I made Hot Cocoa Baskets! A basket per family home with a mug per person, a selection of hot cocoa packets, decorated baggies of marshmallows and cookies. It was supposed to have chocolate-dipped spoons and jars of homemade cocoa mix, but I had a job change three weeks before Christmas and ran out of time. Averaged cost per person: $1.76. 


One year we made 100 lbs of plums into jam. Costs were low, about a dollar per jar, because the fruit was free. 


Another year I made soups in jars, just add water. Size of jar depended on size of household, and people really enjoyed them if the feedback I got was any indication. I figured that with all the sweets around the holidays, something comforting but savory was the way to go. Averaged cost per person was less than 50 cents due to salvaged mason jars and raiding my mother's gift wrap stash for decorating supplies. 


I'm not going for some "lowest costs" goal, but I will say I'm proud of those numbers! I like the challenge. 


I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year. We will certainly be on a budget. I don't do gifts every year, but I would like to if I can. Maybe it should be oatmeal jars? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Storage: Dry goods and Freezer goods, all in one day!

DUDE! Get On That Already!: Making a DIY Pot Rack

Grocery Shopping: To coupon or price book?