Recipe: Instant Oatmeal Jars

If I'd known about this as a kid, my whole world would have been a lot different.

You can put oatmeal in jars, add boiling water, and BOOM. BREAKFAST.
 
"Oh but Heather you need quick oats"/"It only works with some oats"/"You can't use other kinds of hot cereal."

That's what they told me too, but they're wrong. I've tried it. I probably wouldn't use wheat berries, but any somewhat processed grain should do.

Here's my recipe, you may need to tweak to your tastes.

1 pint jar
1/2 c oats
1/2 c toppings
Dry sweetener if you're using it
Pinch of salt

Store at room temperature. 

To eat: add boiling water to just below the fill line--I leave about 1/2 inch. Stir and rest for 5 minutes. Add liquid sweetener, butter, milk/cream to taste. 

Cream of wheat/Farina plumps so much more than oats. I use 1/3c and no toppings. 

What kind of toppings?
  • Dried fruit like cranberries are easy & cheap
  • Chopped or shaved nuts are great
  • Seeds like pumpkin or sunflower 
  • Powdered nut butters
  • Seasonings galore! 
Want some combination ideas? 
  • Cranberries and walnuts
  • Cranberries and shaved almonds
  • Cranberries (don't judge me I went to costco) and candied ginger, also with nuts
  • Dried apple and powdered peanut butter with a dash of cinnamon
  • Almonds, candied ginger, and chai seasonings (garam masala, cardamom, black pepper)
  • Coconut flakes
  • Using polenta, top with sundried tomatoes
  • Keep thinking! 

Millet though... that doesn't work so well. That will have to be a rice cooker meal. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Storage: Dry goods and Freezer goods, all in one day!

DUDE! Get On That Already!: Making a DIY Pot Rack

Menu & To-Do list: Sept 30-Oct 7