Recipe: Cheeseburger Cobbler

A family-of-friends on Facebook posted that one of them had brought forth a family recipe and it was amazing. This family recipe such as it was came with some vague instructions (not unlike my own "recipes"), and I added it to my mental list of Things To Try At Some Point.

Of course, being me, I didn't need much more than the vague instructions to fly off in my own direction. And thus, this casserole was born. (I'm adjusting directions for better flavor than what I did, don't be alarmed that the layers are in a different order than the pics; you still get the idea.)

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 lb or more ground beef
  • 1 onion, diced
  • seasonings to taste
  • 1/2 lb mushrooms, quartered (optional)
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced (unpictured, optional)
  • Pickle chips, or relish
  • ketchup
  • mustard
  • Cheese of your choice, separated (pictured: muenster sliced, cheddar shredded)
  • Raw biscuit dough, enough to feed 2 biscuits to everyone (canned is fine, as is Jiffy mix)
  • garlic bread seasoning, or granulated garlic, basil & oregano.

  1. Brown ground meat with onions, salt, pepper, and garlic -- add other seasonings as you like for your hamburgers. (This I did days ahead and may have contributed to a problem I had below. Directions will reflect both options.) If you're going to make your biscuit dough from scratch, do this while the meat is cooking, and I heartily recommend putting some seasonings into the dry mix before adding the wet ingredients. 
  2. Preheat oven to 375.
  3. If you did step 1 days ahead like me, your meat is cold. Dump it into your casserole dish and stick it in the oven as it preheats. If you browned your meat at the same time as you're cooking to eat this thing, skip this step. Once the meat is at least warmed and you have raw biscuits, continue: 
  4. Drizzle meat with ketchup and mustard. Top the meat with some quartered mushrooms and pickle chips.
  5. Place a layer of cheese of your choice on top; shredded or sliced is fine.
  6. Carefully construct a layer of biscuit dough. You might do this with biscuits from a can, as I did here, because I can't find half my kitchen still. However you might make some biscuits from scratch or a Jiffy mix, and that's great too, especially as it means you can put the seasonings and perhaps even some of the cheese inside. 
  7. Top the biscuit dough with the garlic bread seasoning, or your garlic & herbs. Then top with a light layer of shredded cheese, because garlic cheddar biscuits are amazing. 
  8. Pop in the oven at 375 for... probably 15 minutes? This is where it gets fuzzy. As you can see, my biscuits were a little goopy on the bottoms still at 15 minutes. However, I only baked at 350 and my meat was cold. Hence starting from hot meat. Anyway, cook until your biscuits are done to your liking. 
  9. When biscuits are browned and done through, remove from oven and serve. If you forgot your pickles inside (like me) or are using relish, put the pickles on top. 


So that's Cheeseburger Casserole!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Storage: Dry goods and Freezer goods, all in one day!

DUDE! Get On That Already!: Making a DIY Pot Rack

Grocery Shopping: To coupon or price book?