Music makes me happy

A couple weeks ago, I was so fed up with the playlist I'd been using in my car that I switched to a different one. And promptly skipped through every single track until iTunes told me I didn't have anything else in that playlist. I almost threw my phone out the window.

Then I went to switch out my music to something else and I couldn't find anything that wasn't so overplayed in my head that I could even listen to it. Sounds like it's time for some new music.

So I posted to Facebook, asking for some non-American artists to try out. I enjoy listening to super-poppy music in the car and while I'm cleaning because it gives me energy, so I was looking for something similar from other countries. Unsurprisingly, I got a lot of British artists in the responses. I also spent some time looking for Australian top 40 hits to find some of their artists.

I love Pandora for this reason. I may have only gotten a few responses, some of them even similar artists, but I could plug them into Pandora and immediately start getting a feel for their music as well as finding other new artists.

What did I find?
If you like Adele, Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry and Jewel... try Cat Power, Carly Rae Jepsen, Delta Goodrem, Chantal Kreviazuk, and Kate Nash.

If you like Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and The Fray... try Ed Sheeran, Ron Pope, Eric Hutchinson, and One Direction.

If you like Bob Dylan and Ryan Adams and the Beatles... try Paolo Nutini, Amos Lee, and Ray Lamontagne.

If you like Trance/Dance/Techno/Electronica/Industrial... Nothing new has come out in years, or Pandora only knows the same 10 songs. But you should check out Access Zero out of Arizona because they are FREAKING FANTASTIC.

And that's just the English-speaking seeds! I do enjoy me some non-English-speaking music, but as a result I don't really know the artist names because I just kind of zone out and enjoy the beat, totally forgetting to check for artist names so I can put them in as seeds and get new stuff.

---------
What music are you enjoying lately? Anything you think people should be trying but haven't found yet?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Storage: Dry goods and Freezer goods, all in one day!

DUDE! Get On That Already!: Making a DIY Pot Rack

Sub-Urban Gardening