Down the Rabbit Hole: Sourdough Corn Bread Waffles

Mr. Moon and I have been taking advantage of his weekends off by having a little homemade brunch, usually during or before the football game. It's been really fun! And we've starting to get the hang of it enough that we've started inviting people over.

Last week it was whole wheat sourdough pancakes with soaked grains. I got a recipe from another website but it's written really badly and difficult to read. It did, however, work well enough that I used it as a base for savory waffles this week. Since pancakes and waffles have always been difficult for me, having success in this experiment was really gratifying.

So without further ado, a recipe for Overnight Soaked Grain Sourdough Pancakes or Waffles (what a mouthful!):

The Night Before: 
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup liquid
1 cup flour

Mix together in a bowl that's at least 3x as big as you think it needs to be. Don't over mix. Cover with plastic wrap or a shower cap (I used a towel once and it was ok, but the top dried out).

In the Morning:
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp sugar or equivalent sweetener (I used 1/2 tbsp with good results)

2 eggs (3 for waffles)
1/4 cup oil/butter of choice (I used 1 tbsp of bacon drippings)
(I added a little extra liquid for making waffles)
Seasonings and flavorings as desired

Sprinkle dry ingredients over the "sponge." Whisk wet ingredients together in a separate dish, then fold into the sponge.

Let rest for 30 minutes. This is not optional. 20 minutes is not enough. Neither is 25.

Make sure your griddle or waffle iron is thoroughly warmed up before you start scooping. These are a little denser than some pancake batters, but VERY flavorful and fantastic.

YIELD: We made pancakes with a 1/4 c scoop, and got ~12 pancakes. For Mr. Moon and myself, 3 was very filling. For the Old People, 2 was plenty. So assume that it feeds four average adults.

Customizing to taste:
First time when I made pancakes I used a sourdough starter that's been fed with a combination of white and whole grain flour, and whole wheat flour. I used the full tablespoon of sugar and thought it was too sweet.

For the waffles I made them with the starter and 2/3 cup corn flour, 1/3 cup corn meal. It was FANTASTIC! Flavored with herbs from our garden, lots of chives, salt & pepper, then tossed some chopped bacon in when we scooped into the waffle iron. I used only a drizzle of honey, and the flavorings were there but very faint--could have used a lot more than I thought! So don't be shy.

Also keep in mind that standard baking substitutions probably apply. You could totally replace the fat with a fruit puree and be fine. I'm thinking pumpkin sounds good for fall, maybe make some apple pancakes soon. Go nuts! The original recipe called for "buttermilk or water," I've used water and milk with good results. Use orange juice for the liquid, or pumpkin puree and carrot juice sounds good.

For our corn bread waffles, I made a topping of red peppers, onions, and swiss chard.
This was not enough greens (they shrunk a lot more than expected!) but I just finished this up and quickly cooked up another batch of just greens.

Top with a couple eggs and you have a most delicious breakfast. Though we thought it could ue a little something, a sauce of some kind. Cheese in the waffles, or on top of them. Maybe a country or a chicken or mushroom gravy, or just a dollop of farmer's cheese, goat cheese, something to moisten it up a little bit. And strangely, still really good with maple syrup on top!

Yum!
---------------------
Are you fiddling with any new recipes lately?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Storage: Dry goods and Freezer goods, all in one day!

Sub-Urban Gardening

Garden Report: Edibles finally got planted!