Recipe: "Peppered Egg Nest"

I love Pinterest. And unlike what seems to be the internet trope, I do actually create a good number of the things I see on there. I've used it as inspiration for at least 15 of menu items in the last three months, if nothing else, and discovered some awesome cleaning tricks along the way. Even some natural home remedies for illness, which I'll be discussing at a later point.

One of the most recent things that I got to use from Pinterest was a low-carb egg-in-a-basket/nest recipe, using a bell pepper ring instead of bread. I showed Mr. Moon, he made it for me for breakfast, and presented me with this:

Saying as he did so, "Believe it or not I am NOT the embodiment of Pinterest, and it's not as pretty as the one you showed me."

Well it was delicious. But I'm going to share a recipe with a few tweaks of my own to make it even better (and prettier!) than Mr. Moon's first attempt, which I must say was VERY well done from just a picture with no directions.

Peppered Egg Nest:

  • Frying pan with a well-fitting lid (preferably glass lid!)
  • Olive oil or butter
  • 2 bell pepper rings, about 1/2 in thick
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbls water
  • Salt & Pepper, whatever other seasonings you prefer to taste
  • Sriracha (optional, I guess)
Heat pan over medium heat, and add oil or butter. When fat is melted/shimmering, add the pepper rings, season with salt & pepper, and sear for about 1 minute (maybe 90 seconds?). Flip, sear for another minute or so. Lower heat a to medium-low, and crack one egg into each ring. Season if desired.

Add 1 tbls water and IMMEDIATELY close lid (I like to put the water in the lid so it gets added right as the lid goes on). If you don't have a lid or think you can flip easily, you CAN flip them halfway through cooking to get the other side, but this is my cheater's way of getting "over"-easy eggs. Cook until desired doneness of the yolks, for this I like them still a little translucent but not really "goopy" (medium-hard). 

Serve, preferably drizzled in the hot sauce of your choice or sprinkled with a dash of smoked paprika. Wonderful with a side of fresh tomato slices/wedges, a tomato/avocado chunk salad, hash browns, fried onions, toast, I'm sure you can think of more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Food Storage: Dry goods and Freezer goods, all in one day!

DUDE! Get On That Already!: Making a DIY Pot Rack

Sub-Urban Gardening